1 cup washed rice
1 cup lentils / yellow dhal (tinned or raw)
2 diced tomatoes
1 diced potato
1 diced chunk of pumpkin
3 - 4 cups water
* (or you can use whatever veg you want)
1 teaspoon hing (asofoetida)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tb spoon turmeric
ghee and salt to flavour
- wash rice and dahl
- add veg on top of rice/Dahl mixture
- add water (the more water the more soupy it will be)
- add spices
- cook with lid over a high heat until it starts to boil over.
- slightly move lid so some airflow is possible and change heat to low
- leave to simmer until all the liquid is gone, or until sufficiently cooked if you want it soupy.
- serve with some ghee and salt
Papadums (available at woollies)
- grill, fry or microwave them (with or without a drop of oil) and serve with kichari.
- ghee and Papadums are sold at Coles and woollies etc, you might need to visit an Asian/ Indian grocer for the hing
- you can use whatever veg you want. Cauliflower, peas, sweet potato are good to.