- 100g red lentils
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 3 Tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 small bunch of shallots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsps turmeric
- 300ml water
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion, garlic and shallots and fry them until browning.
- Add all spices and stir through thoroughly.
- Add lentils, water and eggplant.
- Cook on low heat until the lentils are tender and it has a dhal type consistency. (about 15-20 mins).
- Add salt to taste and serve with sourdough flatbread, or papadums, or rice.
This is GF, Vegan and delicious!!
I think I want to try it with tomato instead of eggplant next!
Adapted from here.